Sunday, September 7, 2008

Two weeks in

I can't believe that two weeks are already done with.  They have flown by.  And speaking of that, I was just thinking about how my days seems to fly by now that I'm teaching.  As soon as I walk in the door to the Business Department, I am going until I get in the car to head home.  Including practice, I am regularly putting in 11 hour days, but it doesn't even feel like it.  I remember back when I was working at the bank and when I had to work a 10 hour day, it felt like it took forever.  I'm guessing it has a lot to do with the fact that I am now enjoying what I do.  

I am starting to settle in and get into the rhythm of the school day, which is reassuring.  I am also a lot better than expected with remembering my students' names.  I was really worried about it and everyone I spoke to just said "you'll get it".  I was getting increasingly frustrated with what appeared to be their lack of help, but I am know realizing the wisdom of their words.  There is no rhyme or reason to it and everyone has their own way of memorizing student names.  These are a few reasons that provide confidence on my path to becoming a teacher.  

One issue I am struggling with right now is remembering to take attendance.  My computer class is no problem because I can do it right from the computer I am standing at.  But in my Intro class, which is in a regular classroom, I always forget, until the bell rings, and everyone is walking out.  There are a few different methods that I am going to try out this week in hopes of discovering something soon that works.  

I'll go out this week on a high note: As I was leaving for practice Friday, I was walking out with one of my cooperating teachers.  As we were about to go our separate ways, she stopped and told me that she thinks that I'm doing a good job.  That was so great to hear, especially coming from her.  

No comments: