Monday, August 18, 2008

Am I ready?

I have so busy with helping coach cross-country that I haven't taken the time to reflect in quite a while. It's weird; I feel prepared, and at the same time, not even close. I am just wondering if there is more that I can be doing right now to start the year off better. I reviewed my classroom management plan and have my outline for my syllabus ready to go.

I shifted my focus from Computer Business Applications(CBA) to Intro to Business (Intro). My cooperating teacher told me that we will pretty much take CBA lesson by lesson. So now I have been pouring over the Intro book, trying to find ways to incorporate more cooperative learning, groupwork, and activities, instead of the lecture route. I also have been frustrated because I haven't been able to find a suitable icebreaker for the needs/wants lesson of the first day. I met with both of my cooperating teachers last spring and the one who teaches intro told me that she was looking for a new icebreaker for the needs/wants section. All that I have been able to find are aimed at elementary students. The last thing I want to do is start off the school year by talking down to my students. Hopefully, I will come up with something before Thursday, when I have a district and school-wide meeting and prep work afterwards.

No comments: