Monday, August 11, 2008

Diving In Head First

Well, I finally took the plunge. I quit my job last week, and I couldn't be happier. But I also have to admit that the feelings of freaking out and nervousness are starting to replace the feelings of excitement that I used to feel.

I can't wait to meet with my cooperating teacher to get some concrete plans for the upcoming school year. I feel like I am going to be unprepared and disappoint her if I don't show her all of the things that I have going on in my head regarding the type of teacher I want to be. For example, I want to show her my classroom management plans and also a rough draft of a syllabus. Is this too much? Not enough? I am going to error on the side of preparedness and show her what I have. Suddenly the golden rule of teaching (You can never be too prepared to teach) flooded back into my brain as I typed that last statement.

I am also excited about starting my coaching duties. I am lucky enough to have to opportunity to help out coach the boys cross-country team. On top of that, the coach has won a state title before, so I am getting to learn from a proven winner. Practice starts in a few days and I have so many question marks. Am I in good enough shape to run with the kids? What exactly will be my duties? Will I have any of these athletes in my classes? Who knows, but I can't wait to find out.

No comments: